Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, Martha’s Vineyard is an island off the coast of Cape Cod, Massachusetts. The island is 100 square miles, and has six different towns, each with their own personality and offerings. For more information visit The Island Experience section of the website
Our campground is nestled in an oak forest, approximately 1.5 miles from the nearest water view. Our sites are wooded, with trees and bushes around each site. We strive to provide a natural camping experience, while the island’s beautiful beaches and harbors remain easily accessible for your enjoyment during your stay. For more information visit the Beaches section of the website.
You do not need a car to access all the island has to offer! There are many options to get around the Vineyard without a vehicle — public bus system, bicycle, taxi, Uber… However, it all depends on the type of experience you are seeking. When deciding whether to bring your car, consider these factors: How long is your trip? How many people are traveling in your party?
How much equipment are you packing —would be able to carry it on foot? Do you want to explore the island at your own pace and on your own schedule? Do you want to be able to see the whole island, and experience each town?
For more information about getting around the island, visit our Travel the Island section of the website.
Yes! A week on the Vineyard gives you the opportunity to explore and experience different destinations, landmarks, restaurants, beaches — the list goes on! It also gives you a chance to relax and recharge in between what will be a fun-filled vacation. The great thing about the island is that you can really be as busy, or as free, as you want to be on your vacation. It is very easy to achieve peace and relaxation, while it is just as easy to jam pack your time with excursions. We have links for travel planning information under our, island Resources section of the website.
Yes! The Steamship Authority is the only ferry service that transports RVs to and from the island. They are very accustomed to dealing with big rigs, as large trucks travel back and forth for deliveries every day. The ferries run back and forth daily, from morning until night. You will need an advanced ferry reservation for your RV, and you will want to look into ferry availability prior to confirming your camping reservation with us. Visit The Steamship Authority and our Travel to MV section of the website to learn more.
The cost of the ferry is determined by the length of your vehicle, and the number of passengers that are traveling. Please visit The Steamship Authority website or call 508.477.8600 to obtain an exact price quote, but you can count on the vehicle or RV reservation ranging anywhere from approximately $200 – $600 round trip. While we recognize this is a significant cost, we can whole-heartedly say that most people feel that Martha’s Vineyard is worth it! In fact, we have many campers who have been making the trip every single summer for years with their RV, pop up or vehicle. If you are on the fence, we recommend giving it a try at least once and making the most of your experience by staying at least a few days — you may just fall in love this island!
If you are planning to bring a vehicle or RV, you will need an advanced reservation with The Steamship Authority. They typically begin booking vehicle reservations in January — book right away for summer months, weekends and holidays!
If you are traveling on a motorcycle, bicycle or on foot, you do not need an advanced reservation with the Steamship Authority. Some of the other passenger ferries do require reservations — visit our Travel to MV section to learn more.
The Steamship Authority is the most commonly utilized ferry service. Trips occur daily and frequently throughout the day, and cost for passengers is reasonable. This is also the only ferry service that accommodates vehicles or RVs.
If you are traveling on foot or with a bicycle, there are other options that may be more convenient depending on where you are coming from — please visit our Travel to MV section for more information.
The Steamship Authority ferry service from Woods Hole, MA to Martha’s Vineyard is 45 minutes.
There are additional options for passenger ferries, and duration of trip varies. Please visit our Travel to MV section for resources regarding passenger ferries.
Vineyard Haven is approximately 2 miles, and Oak Bluffs is approximately 5 miles, away from the campground. While both ports are convenient, many folks do choose Vineyard Haven due to the close proximity to the campground, especially if traveling by bike or on foot.
Check in is 3pm or later. Late arrivals will not be permitted after 11pm. Check out time is 11am or earlier.
We are available for check in until 10pm. If you are on the last ferry of the day, please contact us and we can arrange for a late check in with advanced notice. Please note, late arrivals will not be permitted after 11pm.
We kindly request that you come to the front desk in our main lodge upon arrival. Parking is available next to the main lodge. Our staff will assist you with the check in process and welcome you to our park! Remember, even if you are a seasoned returning camper, we request that you come in to the front desk to check in and to be sure that your site is available.
All cancellations must be submitted in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to our island location and the seasonal nature of our campground, the following cancellation guidelines apply:
- Cancellations received 90 days or more from arrival date will receive a full refund minus a 5% service charge. Cancellations received 30 days or more from arrival date will receive a full refund minus a 10% service charge. Cancellations received less than 30 days from arrival date are non-refundable.
- Due to the impact on site availability, cancellation guidelines apply to shortened or modified dates, as well as any changes to your reservation. If you wish to reschedule your dates, it will be considered a new booking and subject to our cancellation terms. Please note, changes to dates or reservation may require a change in site location based on availability and occupancy.
- Guests who decide to shorten their stay are liable for charges on cancelled nights. Refunds, transfers or credits are not provided for early departures.
- Due to the outdoor nature of the camping experience, we are unable to provide refunds, transfers or credits based on weather or natural conditions.
- We are sorry, but we are unable to provide refunds, transfers or credits due to the inability to obtain a ferry reservation. Guests are responsible for their own vehicle reservations on the ferry to Martha’s Vineyard. It is recommended to check ferry availability prior to booking a stay.
- If you are concerned about the need to cancel your reservation, we recommend you purchase independent travel insurance.
- For reservations booked during the early release for stays of 10 nights or more: Shortened stays will be non-refundable for nights cancelled.
Our RV sites vary in shape and size — they are wooded, and the ground is hard sand. All of our RV Sites have water, 30/50 amp electric, and sewer. We have a few Premium RV Sites that also have cable TV. In general, we can accommodate up to 38 feet on most of our Large RV sites. Please contact us directly by calling or submitting a reservation request to inquire for RVs larger than 35 feet – we will be happy to discuss availability with you!
Coming Soon !